What is Homebuilders?
HOMEBUILDERS provides intensive, in-home crisis intervention, counseling, and life skills education for families who have children at imminent risk of placement.
- The goal is to prevent the unnecessary out-of-home placement of children through intensive on site intervention, and to teach families new problem solving skills to prevent future crisis
- The program includes 4-6 weeks of services to children and families
- Therapists spend an average of 8-10 hours per week in direct contact with the family and are on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week for crisis intervention
Criteria for Services
- Child is at imminent risk of placement
- Less intensive services have been exhausted or they are not appropriate
- Valid or suspected physical abuse or neglect
- Substance use that puts the child at risk of placement or parents have given birth to a drug-affected infant
- Family members threaten each other verbally or physically, which puts the child at imminent risk of placement
- Parent or child has a mental illness that is not being managed appropriately